This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Next stable release?

May 12, 2012 at 11:35 PM
Edited May 14, 2012 at 7:37 PM


I've been using Jurassic for a few months and am pretty impressed. This is a great piece of work and I'm happy to be able to include it in a number of projects.

I was curious as to when the next stable release would be out? The most current one is from the beginning of last year, and I am having trouble getting the unit tests to run against libraries when I try to build them from the most recent source code...


The main reason I'm interested in building from the source is that I would like to have an x64 build that targets the .NET 4.0 framework so I can roll this into an Azure project I'm working on.



May 14, 2012 at 7:28 PM
Edited May 14, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Second that! It's hard to look a gift horse in the mouth, but this project continues to tantalize me as a holy grail of sorts that is just out of reach. The ability to run javascript natively in a .NET app would open up so many possibilities for creating clean, integrated testing tools, but there are just a couple tiny little shortcomings in Jurassic (lack of being able to run pre-compiled code being the biggest one) that put it out of reach. And the speed of execution is NOT one of those problems, it runs fast enough for my purposes. It's just the compile speed that makes it unworkable. (In most real-world applications that I have in mind, most scripts are relatively static, but at takes way too long to compile everything every single time I restart a C# app).

As someone who has way too many projects of their own that I can't keep up with, of course, I completely understand when life gets in the way of such things. It's just too bad it hasn't had that last little push over the finish line.

And so I will continue to hack in the V8 engine instead... 

May 14, 2012 at 11:53 PM

I hear you.  Unfortunately this project requires a large time commitment and I have a couple of other side-projects which are taking priority right now.  I agree that a new release is definately overdue though :-)  Especially annoying (for me) is that there are a couple of important bug fixes which are only available in the latest source code drop.  I feel like I need to finish off the seamless integration and WP7 support though before I do a new release.

Regarding pre-compiling code, have you looked at this forum post?

May 15, 2012 at 12:07 AM

@paulbartrum, yeah I'm the guy who emailed him privately :) he has been very helpful but I wasn't able to get things working with his updates at the time. There could be several reasons why:

1) I think I applied them against the stable release whereas he was using the dev code

2) My scenario is a little complex (I'm trying to run JSHINT in Jurassic... the irony, right?), and in our exchange I couldn't get my exact failing scenario in front of him. While trying to do that, I couldn't even get it to work without compiling first, though I had originally. 

I got slammed right when we were getting into it so I haven't gotten back to see where things went wrong, it's possible once I get a chance to work through things that it may actually work.

But still big picture, there's just so much potential for this project, it boggles the mind! I wish there were two of you, or two of me, or someone else who could pick up some slack. Of course I understand the realities of such things, this is a project. I have a project that hasn't had a new release in six months because the tests are out of date, and all I ever do is tell people to use the dev code...

Anyway you have a fan, and I have a huge list of ideas that will use it if I can figure out the compiling thing! And find time to work on those as yet unstarted projects among all my others, of course.

May 15, 2012 at 2:56 AM

Hi Paul,

Thanks for taking the time to respond - I know how difficult it can be to run an open-source project on top of other responsibilities. Good luck with getting the new release out when you get a chance to circle back to it. If you could maybe post a clue or two as to how this could be modified to compile for .NET 4.0, that would really be awesome as well!