This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

jquery and mootools

Jan 26, 2011 at 6:54 AM

good project,

can i also compile jquery and mootools javascript functions?

regards

Mitja

Jan 26, 2011 at 9:01 AM

No, sorry!

Both of those frameworks rely on the existance of a browser DOM.  By default, Jurassic can only run "pure javascript" like the CoffeeScript compiler (http://jashkenas.github.com/coffee-script/).

Basically if a script does not reference "document" or "window" it will probably work.

- Paul

Jan 28, 2014 at 9:07 AM
Any plans on implementing a DOM so that jurassic can run jquery?
Jan 28, 2014 at 11:09 AM
Edited Jan 28, 2014 at 11:09 AM
No, to implement the DOM you pretty much have to implement an entire web browser. While implementing a web browser in .NET does sound fun, there would be little practical value for such a beast. Not to mention it would probably take a couple decades for me to create anything approaching a modern browser :-)
Feb 14, 2014 at 9:30 AM
Edited Feb 14, 2014 at 7:38 PM
I have recently come up against this issue. I was trying to use ClearScript.

https://clearscript.codeplex.com/discussions/468560#post1207872

During my research I came across a library called jsdom which implements a javascript version of the dom. In the end I decided it was not going to be worth the effort since jsdom has some dependencies on Node.js

https://github.com/tmpvar/jsdom

One of the issues raised on the github repository may lead to an implementation that may help solve this problem.

https://github.com/tmpvar/jsdom/issues/711

Might be worth looking into?
Mar 25, 2014 at 12:04 AM
I tweaked Jurrassic a bit to use it in a DOM context. I haven't got to the point where I can try and include jQuery, but that's the direction I am headed. I basically modified the GlobalObject to allow subclassing and modified ScriptEngine constructor to allow passing the type of the replacement global object.

e.g.
public class WindowObject : GlobalObject {
   public WindowObject(ObjectInstance prototype) : base(prototype) { }

[JSProperty]
   public object window {
      get { return this; }
      set { }
   }

[JSProperty]
   public document
   ... etc ...
}

ScriptEngine engine = new ScriptEngine(typeof(WindowObject));
I'm pretty sure it voids the warranty but it is behaving like I would like
Mar 26, 2014 at 4:27 AM
You can modify the global object without modifying the source:
public class WindowObject : ObjectInstance {
   public WindowObject(ObjectInstance prototype) : base(prototype)
   {
      this.PopulateFunctions();

// Populate global properties.
      this.Engine.Global["document"] = this["document"];
      ..etc..
   }

[JSProperty]
   public object window {
      get { return this; }
      set { }
   }

[JSProperty]
   public document
   ... etc ...
}

A bit round-about maybe, but at least you still got that sweet sweet warranty ;-)
Mar 28, 2014 at 6:30 AM
I'll have to try it. How do you initialize window? I want to ensure that code cannot overwrite the value of window or document (e.g. document = 42) in the global context. I also want to make sure that unqualified window methods resolves (like 'alert()').
Mar 28, 2014 at 10:43 PM
Ultimately there are two ways to extend an object in javascript:
  1. Add additional properties to the object.
  2. Use the prototype system.
Method 2 is an inconvenient way of extending the global object in Jurassic because (as you have noted) you can't set the global object instance without modifying the source code.

Method 1 should do what you need. The simple way to add properties (in c#) is like this:
// Equivalent to test = 5 in javascript.
engine.Global["test"] = 5;
However, you can't make properties read-only using this technique. Instead, you should use DefineProperty:
// Equivalent to Object.defineProperty(this, "test", { enumerable: true, value: 5 }); in javascript.
engine.Global.DefineProperty("test", new PropertyDescriptor(5, PropertyAttributes.Enumerable), true);
The difficulty is defining methods, since Jurassic does not make it easy to convert an arbitrary .NET method to a FunctionInstance (which represents a javascript function). In the code that I included in my previous post, I am abusing PopulateFunctions to work around this problem. PopulateFunctions essentially looks at properties with [JsProperty] and methods with [JsFunction] and converts them into FunctionInstance values, then it calls DefineProperty to set those values. Those values can then be read out of the object and utilized for other things.