This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Is this a DLR implementation?

Dec 10, 2010 at 12:05 PM

I am curious if I can use this script engine using dynamic in C# 4.0.

Dec 10, 2010 at 4:54 PM

No, sorry!

I did use the DLR to start with, but it complicated things greatly so I took it out.  I may look at it again some time, but for now it's out.

Dec 12, 2010 at 3:22 PM

I'll try to compile coffee script js compiler and see if it works. There is no easy way to compile coffee script on windows.

Dec 13, 2010 at 7:29 PM

Paul,

You've done an incredible job with your Javascript .Net project.  Kudos.  I was kinda hoping that you had gone through "the pain" of learning .Net 4.0's DLR spec so I could use your implementation as a blueprint for another language I want to port to the DLR 4.0. ;-)   Oh well.  Hey, there's a new book out called "Pro DLR in .Net 4.0" by Chaur Wu.   It helps, but unfortunately, he didn't make programming languages a major topic in the book so we're still left with reference implementations like IronRuby and IronPython to figure things out. 

Aside from this new book, I've looked around and all I can find are talks about the pre 4.0 DLR library calls.  In 2008, it was a big topic but the libraries were still in flux before .Net 4.0 came out and then Microsoft dropped direct support for the IronRuby/IronPython.   Several of those key DLR developers left Microsoft to work for Google while others got dispersed to other internal projects or left to work for different companies.   

Fredrik Holm's IronJS is built on top of DLR 4.0.  It's hard enough just understanding the 4.0 DLR interface let alone (for me) having to learn F# at the same time though.  

Unless someone else comes out with a new DLR book that centers on dynamic language construction in .Net 4.0, it's a tough road to hoe for anyone approaching the subject material.

Steve

Dec 14, 2010 at 4:56 AM

steveh2010: Thanks for the kind words.

I actually started Jurassic as a direct result of IronJS.  You see, I was looking for a project to work on around the start of the year (2010).  At the time, there was a number of articles on IronJS (eWeek, h-online) - these got me interested in IronJS.  However, when I downloaded it to try it out I was surprised to see that it was (very) incomplete (the press made it seem like it was inches away from completion)  There were big gaping holes like... the entire standard library (Math, RegExp, JSON, etc).  I immediately thought "I can make something better in, like, a week or two" (typical programmer hubris) and started my own project.  Six months later I'm still going :-)

Oh and IronJS still hasn't got a working ES3 implementation, though it can now apparently run almost a third of the sunspider benchmarks (see http://ironjs.com/blog/ironjs-vs-jurassic-sunspider-partial/).  Keep it up Fredrik, your microbenchmarks motivate me to work harder!